Mubasher: UK telecommunication giant BT would remove Huawei’s equipment from its core fourth generation (4G) in the coming two years, according to a news report.
The step would bring BT’s mobile phone business into line with its longstanding policy toward Huawei, keeping the Chinese vendor at the edge of telecoms infrastructure, the Financial Times (FT) reported on Wednesday.
The UK company would replace that unit’s central mobile technology “as part of network architecture principles in place since 2006,” a BT spokesman told the FT via email.
Moreover, the same approach would be applied for BT’s 5G mobile network, as it would exclude Huawei from bidding for contracts to provide hardware for use in its next-generation network, it said.
The US administration was persuading wireless and internet service providers in allied countries to shun telecommunication hardware from Huawei, the Wall Street Journal reported last November.
Later on, New Zealand rejected the Chinese giant’s offer for 5G, on national security grounds.
Australia also banned Huawei from supplying 5G kit, earlier this year, citing security risks.