Mubasher: Iran threatened on Monday that it would break the curbs on its stockpiles of low-enriched uranium in ten days, under the 2015 multilateral accord.
The pact signed by world’s major powers, including the US, the UK, France, Germany and Russia, required Iran to limit its uranium enrichment capacity, keeping the low-enriched uranium stockpile at 300 kilograms (kg) of uranium hexafluoride enriched to 3.67% or its equivalent for 15 years.
“We have quadrupled the rate of enrichment and even increased it more recently, so that in 10 days it will bypass the 300 kg limit,” Iranian Atomic Energy Organization spokesman Behrouz Kamalvandi was quoted by the news agency as saying on state TV.
Last month, Tehran stated that it would scale back its compliance with the nuclear deal, protesting Washington’s decision to withdraw from the agreement and thereby reinstating sanctions.
“Iran’s reserves are every day increasing at a more rapid rate,” Kamalvandi said.
Meanwhile, Iranian President Hassan Rouhani urged European parties to the deal to boost their efforts to save the accord.
“It’s a crucial moment, and France can still work with other signatories of the deal and play an historic role to save the deal in this very short time,” Rouhani said.
Iran’s threat stoked worries worldwide, while it is likely to exacerbate the tensions with the US, which were already heightened recently by the Trump administration accusing Tehran of attacking two oil carrier in the Gulf of Oman.
Germany urged Iran to meet all of its commitments under the accord, while the UK announced that it would look at “all options” if Tehran proceeds with breaching the enrichment limits.