Mubasher TV
Contact Us Advertising   العربية

ACWA Power, EWEC start operations for Al Taweelah IWP's 1st phase

ACWA Power, EWEC start operations for Al Taweelah IWP's 1st phase
Photo Archive

Mubasher: ACWA Power Company and the Emirates Water and Electricity Company (EWEC) have launched the operations of the first phase of Al Taweelah Independent Water Plant (IWP) in Abu Dhabi.

The operation has a production capacity of 454,600 cubic metres of desalinated water per day, representing 50% of the plant's capacity, according to a press release on Thursday.

Al Taweelah provides 100 million gallons of desalinated water per day and will reach 200 million gallons per day to become the world’s largest reverse osmosis (RO) facility with a capacity of 909,200 m³/day.

ACWA Power is a 40% shareholder and the lead developer and operator of the project, while the remaining 60% stake is held by the Government of Abu Dhabi through Abu Dhabi Power Corporation and Mubadala Development Company.

Emirates Water & Electricity Company, fully owned by the Government of Abu Dhabi, is the sole off-taker of the project under a 30-year contract.

The Vice-Chairman and CEO of ACWA Power, Paddy Padmanathan, said: "The potential emanating from water production through low carbon-intensive technologies is exponential and will ensure we continue to meet the water demands of Abu Dhabi and beyond, alongside our partners."

Meanwhile, Padmanathan added: "We look forward to working towards the next step of operating the second phase with full 200 MIGD capacity."